Monday, July 28, 2014

Open Heavens Devotional for Monday, July 28, 2014: READY TO WORK?

TOPIC: READY TO WORK?

Memorise: Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before. Philippians 3:13

Read: Philippians 3:12-14
12 Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.
13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
 



Message:
Climbing new heights in your assignment will require a new level of diligence. When you ask God to enlarge your coast, you are inviting “trouble” because the bigger the church or assignment, the harder you work. When we were a smaller church, I could sit down with some of my children and we would eat, drink, gist and enjoy ourselves. But now, I may see them once in three years and our exchange of pleasantries normally goes thus: “Long time, no see” and the reply would be: “Is that how it is now, Daddy?” Similarly, years ago, I used to attend Sunday service at our Ebute Metta (Lagos) headquarters. 


I recall once that I was there for 16 Sundays while taking a series, but now, if they see me once a month, they will rejoice. If you truly desire the next level in ministry, you must be prepared to work. You must put aside past achievements and be ready to take on more volume of work and welcome fresh assignments like Paul. This is why he said:

“Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,”  Philippians 3:13

It is ironic that what is pegging the promotion of some people is what they have already accomplished. If you meet them, they will tell you to go and check their track record. Ask them, ‘Is there any present testimony?’ The answer is ‘No, but in the past, I achieved this or that’. It is good to give yourself a pat on the back, but also tell yourself that you have not started. While most people were envious of Paul and some were wishing they could do a fraction of what he did, he was saying he had no record of past achievements, as his major concern was what he could achieve now. On the other hand, some people who want to move on to higher levels of God in ministry, lack the capacity to cope with the assignment. 


If you really want to go up, you will prepare yourself in many ways. You will acquire more education; attend more seminars, workshops and trainings to equip you more. You will find out better, cheaper and faster ways of doing what you do. Are you truly ready for something higher?

Action Point: Identify areas where you could improve your capacity to take on greater responsibilities and work on it.

Bible in a Year: Matthew 9:27-12:8; Job 12: 1-12

 
Source: OPEN HEAVENS DEVOTIONAL, VOLUME 14, 2014 by Pastor E.A Adeboye

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your comments here

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...